I don’t know about you but spinach and artichoke dip was always one of my husband’s and my favorite things to order as an appetizer when we were first dating and married. It never failed, I would have a stomach ache and become congested before dinner even arrived. I just “loved it too much” but it didn’t love me back. When I removed dairy from my diet I thought I absolutely had to kiss this old favorite good-bye. As I learned to work with nuts as a replacement for cheese I set my sights on recreating an old-time fav and you guys….THIS IS IT! It is sure to be a crowd-pleaser and no one will know it’s dairy-free and gluten-free.
Ooey-gooey spinach and artichoke dip that no one will know is plant-based.
- 1 cup Cashews raw, unsalted, soaked
- 3-5 cloves Garlic pressed or minced
- 1 lb Raw Spinach (frozen can be used but is better in a cold version IMO)
- 1 tbsp Oil High heat
- 1 bag Frozen Artichokes chopped
- 1 can Water Chestnuts chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Veggie Broth water can be used
- 1⁄4 cup White wine broth or water can be use as an alternative
- 1⁄4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 3⁄4 cup Mayo Vegan
- .5 lemon Juiced
- 1⁄4 tsp Salt to taste
- 1⁄4 tsp Pepper to taste
- 3⁄4 cup Mozzarella Cheese Vegan, shredded
- Begin with creating the spinach portion:
- -In a stainless steel, ceramic, or cast iron pan, heat 1 tbsp oil and sauté diced onions until translucent, then add pressed garlic and brown.
- – Once browned add fresh spinach, until wilted.
- – Combine drained and chopped artichokes and water chestnuts. Use 1/4 cup white wine/veggie broth/water to deglaze the pan and combine. Place the lid on the pan and turn the heat off.
- While that comes together we will create the creamy “cheesy” portion:
- Add ingredients below to a high-powered blender or food processor….
- – Drained, soaked cashews
- – Nutritional yeast
- – Juice of 1 lemon
- – Mayo
- – S & P
- Combine spinach/artichoke mixture with cashew cream mixture. Top with Miyoki’s Shredded Mozzarella and bake @ 350° for 20 min